Type 2 Prototype - Level Design

So i started to look at the level design and making mood boards to start working with how i want to lay out my level.

Mood Boards

I made little mood boards around the design styles i want to use, I had a strong idea of how i wanted to have the level in both the design and aesthetic.  I am going to go into what i looked at and why i chose the level layout and design aesthetic style.

Level Design



The map designs i looked at orientate around the designs of other sci fi horror games that I have played that I like the look off.  The main ones i orientated around were Alien: Isolation, Soma and Prey (although prey isn't really a horror game).  The idea from the research ages ago orientated around the idea of tight confined corners which i really liked and agree'd with and with that, I looked into my idea of how I can utilise that design into my own level design for my prototype.  I thought that collating them to look at would specially be helpful but I liked the look at the soma design so i orientated about that theme.

Environment Design

I loved the style of old 80's space horror and sci fi films (even though i am not a fan of horror overall).  I specially loved the design of the ships in alien and wanted to try and attribute as much of the style design as i could in my level.  I specially orientated my design to be around that concept and worked along that theme feel.  With that I worked with the idea of clean and crisp but keeping that defined look.


Level design concept

So my layout is a mix and addition of the Soma layout in design.  I am going to work with the soma level design but I am editing a bit to make it more roomy for places to hide, wether i change this in the future I do not know but I will look at that in the future.  The idea is to make rooms to hide but aim to design it specifically to allow for some movement but if you get lost, you're stuck and have to hide.  The feeling is to try and work around that and see if that comes up with a good level.

The design however is orientated around this image, i'll start blocking it out soon.


Comments

Popular Posts