Comparative differences between games design and simulation design - Part 15: The biggest question I wondered....

Introduction

So with working within a different industry, one concern that popped up when I first initially started working within this industry is "with the skills I know working within this industry, will I be able to use those skills to present what I have learnt and go work within the gaming industry in the future?".

When I was at EGX, I spoke with some really helpful people at Creative Assembly whom gave me sound advice in regards to multiple sections that I had massive concerns about if I ever wanted to transfer into the games industry.  The main questions orientate around the following:

NDA / Security comparison
Has anyone else thought this idea?
Portfolio
Restrictive skillset?

So the big question....

NDA / Security Clearance

Believe it or not, although they are done differently the main issue is that not all of the people understand what security clearance (SC) and an NDA ("Non disclosure agreement") is.

An NDA is a contractual agreement that works for a company that prohibits the worker to not talk about a specific title, project or overall job.  This is an agreement which will have what is allowed / isn't, what are the consequences and what the company will also do.  I myself at this moment in time have 2 NDA's on my name which relate to jobs or what I've seen.

SC is more than an NDA, it's to check that you are acceptable to work on projects and have no background issues like bankruptcy, you're not affiliated with bad people and that you haven't just appeared out of nowhere and you are what you say you are.  Whilst within the clearance, you are also specifically placed under an NDA and again can't talk about specific things like projects with that clearance changing depending on how high you are or what you need to observe.

The way it was described to me is, SC is much more bigger and better to have but also more cool as you can't talk about stuff much more in depth than an NDA.  Any company who knows that you have an NDA should know that you are more likely to not say / do something dumb as projects can be quite high importance so use that to your advantage.

Other people have done it too

Believe it or not, other people in the industry have done the same thing I have done, I chatted to a dev who had worked in a different private company that does the same industry that I work in and utilised that skills to his advantage.

Look at what your skills work around and how to utilise them efficiently within the games industry.  If your skillset is to make realistic environments for sims, look at games specifically that use that set and go to them "I made this in a month to this standard, what do you think I can give to you in a game project!".  Sell yourself to say I can do this effectively as I have the experience and I know what i'm doing, YOU WANT ME ON YOUR TEAM!

A few of the devs didn't initially start in games design but elsewhere and utilised that skillset to become an effect person that sells their skills to an development company that need your skillset.  Look around and point your abilities specifically at devs who need / use those skills.. If it means you are more looking at Wargames studios that travelers tales.. you can accept it, join work and then make your dreams a reality further down the line.. do that, take chances.

This is the biggest thing I will take from that overall.

Portfolios

Portfolios are going to be difficult to work around as you need a portfolio to work with.  Although you can't effectively show your skills from a secure industry to another is very prohibited, why not work around that with design work with your own designs showing that work.. if they want more and you can provide the work behind a secure access with a password access with a notification that it cannot be distributed.

There are ways to work around keeping your portfolio up to date but they all said, keep your skills are sharp as you can at all times.

Comments

Popular Posts