Ingenious Gentlemen - Part 4 - Remake of the Main Character Mesh.... Again

Part 4 - The Bloody Weight Painting and Mesh Issues.

Mesh Fixes and new problems

The mesh problems continue... After trying to figure out and fixing the skeleton,  My collegaue felt it was important and good practice to delete the root bone of the new mesh.  So without noticing, I painted the new model with weights and essentially break the new model.  So with that I made a new skeleton.

So I made a new skeleton which I've attached and tried to do a different approach to the skeleton creation to see if there is anything I can do via this process.

FBX - Models - Update - The weight issue has been resolved after blog was made.


Please have a look at the meshes and see how they look.  I am unsure currently on how it's going to go within motionbuilder but the fact that I have to redo the weighting again is going to be a pain...

At least I can move forward with getting into capturing as the data that was caught had massive errors.  The big problems were:

  • The capture should have started with a t pose to allow me to align the mesh up properly to the animation.
  • I don't think the data exporting of the mocap data was exported properly
  • The skeleton naming convention may not be properly working as I believe that errors keep popping up constantly regarding skeleton targeting which makes me believe that there maybe a problem with the hierarchy in regards to making a skeleton.
This is my next plan as it's important to learn this as after talking to Tracey Madden (Ex-Rockstar Employee) over coffee, A lot of smaller companies do not have specific riggers to work on their models and for some smaller / tighter groups, they will have a small amount of staff who essentially work on everything animation wise from equipment animation to mocap and cleaning.

My belief is that, If i want to get the overall consensus of how to do all the animation side that I need to learn how to create skeletons / rigs correctly, do weight painting correctly, then learn mocap and essentially learn how to do it all for cheap...

If I am going to be doing anything for this MA, I feel a good idea would be a clear guide on the process of animation from beginning to end and how to do it effectively and cheaply with examples.  This could be a possible idea for my Practice 2.

Comments

Popular Posts